For tourists and other short-term stays


ページ番号1007155  更新日 平成31年2月20日


A tourist visa is officially called a “short-term stay” or 短期滞在 (tanki taizai). This is a short-term stay for tourism, business, visiting friends or relatives, and does not include paid activities.

For nationals of countries that have a visa waiver agreement with Japan, it is possible to enter Japan without a visa for up to 90 days (6 months for certain countries). At present, over 60 countries are covered by such agreements. If your country is one of these, you may enter Japan without any special visa application. For nationals of other countries not covered by the above agreements, it is necessary to apply for and receive a visa stamp in your passport from your local Japanese Embassy or Consulate.

When applying for a visa, the applicant is required to submit the appropriate application forms, available at Japanese Embassies or Consulates, and attach any supporting documentation. The number of copies and kinds of supporting document required may vary depending on the purpose of entry. Please check with your local Japanese Embassy or Consulate for details.

Countries that do require a short-term stay visa (MOFA)

Note: You must carry your passport with you at all times while in Japan, as this is the only acceptable form of identification for foreign visitors.


Office of International Affairs, Department of Homeland Promotion
(020-8570) 10-1 Uchimaru, Morioka City, Iwate Prefecture, JAPAN
Phone number:019-629-5765 Facsimile:019-629-5254
You can access our question form here.