Application for the lump-sum pension withdrawal


ページ番号1007125  更新日 平成31年4月1日


You will need to make two applications: one for the lump-sum withdrawal payments, and one to reimburse you for the 20% tax you pay on the withdrawal.

(1) Before you leave Japan

  1. Fill out the claim form for the lump-sum withdrawal payments (脱退一時金請求書, dattai ichijikin seikyuusho) and take it with you to your home country. You can find this form in the National Pension Office’s English guide.
  1. Designate someone in Japan to be your tax representative (納税管理人, nouzei kanrinin). This can be a friend or a coworker, foreign or Japanese.
  2. Officially designate them by filling out a Declaration Naming a Person to Administer the Taxpayer’s Tax Affairs (所得税・消費税の納税管理人の届出, shotokuzei/shouhizei no nouzei kanrinin). Submit this to the tax office (税務署, zeimusho) that has jurisdiction over your municipality of residence. You can download the form here. A list of tax offices in Iwate can be found at the bottom of these instruction.

(2) When you leave Japan

  1. Be sure to take with you your
    • Pension book
    • Lump-sum withdrawal payment claim form (found in (1)-1)
    • Contact info for your tax representative and employer(s)
  2. You MUST turn in a moving-out notification (転出届, tenshutsu todoke) when you move out of your municipality. If you neglect to do so, you will not be able to claim your pension for an entire year.
    *Why 1 year? Foreign residents automatically get permission to re-enter Japan with 1 year of departure, UNLESS they specify they are leaving the country for good. Read more about re-entry permits here.
  1. Turn in your residence card at the airport when going through immigration.

(3) When you get home

  1. Mail your claim form to the
    Japan Pension Service (Foreign Services Group)
    Takaido-nishi 3-5-24, Suginami-ku, Tokyo 168-8505
    (〒168-8505東京都杉並区高井戸西 3丁目 5番 24号 日本年金機構(外国業務グループ)
    Packet should contain:
    • Pension book
    • Copy of Passport (showing DOB, country, signature, visa and date of departure from Japan)
    • A certified bank stamp OR all pertinent bank information for your HOME COUNTRY BANK
  2. Wait until you receive a Notice of Lump Sum Withdrawal Payments (支給決定通知書, shikyuu kettei tsuuchisho) as a receipt for your money. Make a copy of this form for your records. At this point you will have received your refund in your home country's bank account. The next steps are for getting the last 20% that was withheld as tax.
  3. Mail the ORIGINAL Notice of Lump Sum withdrawal Payments to your Tax representative and have them fill out a tax return (確定申告書, kakutei shinkokusho) for you .
  4. Instruct them to have your remaining 20% deposited into their account (it must be deposited into a Japanese bank account).
  5. Have your Tax Representative deposit the money in your account (money order, electronic transfer, etc.)

Please note: All inquiries regarding Japan’s pension system should be referred to Japan’s Pension Office. Their English homepage can be found here.


Office of International Affairs, Department of Homeland Promotion
(020-8570) 10-1 Uchimaru, Morioka City, Iwate Prefecture, JAPAN
Phone number:019-629-5765 Facsimile:019-629-5254
You can access our question form here.