ページ番号1007174  更新日 平成31年2月20日


Every foreign national who will reside in Japan for over 90 days will be issued a Residence Card (在留カード, zairyu cado) by the Immigration Bureau. You may receive this at the airport, or after you register with your municipality of residence. You must carry your residence card with you at all times.

residence card


You must possess your passport or residence card at all times while in Japan. Under Japanese law all foreign nationals are required to carry this form of identification. Temporary visitors must carry their passport, and residents must carry their residence card.

If you lose these documents you must report the loss to the police and apply for a replacement from your country’s embassy, in case of passport, or the Immigration Bureau, in case of residence card.


Office of International Affairs, Department of Homeland Promotion
(020-8570) 10-1 Uchimaru, Morioka City, Iwate Prefecture, JAPAN
Phone number:019-629-5765 Facsimile:019-629-5254
You can access our question form here.