Employee’s Health Insurance/Social Insurance (健康保険・社会保険, kenkou hoken / shakai hoken)


ページ番号1007062  更新日 平成31年4月1日


If you are employed, you may be eligible for Employee’s Health Insurance. Your employer will complete all the procedures to enroll you, and you will receive a health insurance card from them. Monthly insurance payments are calculated from your salary, and taken before taxes.

Read more about Employee’s Health Insurance at the National Pension Service.

Employees will normally be enrolled in the social insurance scheme if they are working more than 29.5 hours a week. Foreign nationals are also eligible for this insurance. Companies are required to enroll all their employees, even if they are only employed for a short time. Insurance premium payments are split between the employee and the employer, with employee contributions being withheld from salary and bonuses.

Employers enroll their employees at the local Pension Office after which an insurance card is issued. Dependents of the insured are automatically covered for no extra charge.

When joining the employee insurance system you will also sign up for the pension system and other forms of insurance. These contributions will be withheld from your paycheck and bonuses. This is sometimes called “Social Insurance” (社会保険, shakai hoken).

Copayments for Employee’s Health Insurance

Your portion of the cost is 30% of the medical fees spent for your treatment. However, for people aged 70~74 and their dependents will only spend 10% or 30% depending on their incomes. Guardians of children will only be charged 20% from birth until compulsory education.

Where to go to sign up for Employee’s Health Insurance

Your workplace must sign you up on your behalf. Please inquire with your work for more details.

Monthly contributions

Insurance contributions are based on your income and shared by you and your employer equally.

Enrolling in National Health Insurance (国民健康保険, kokumin kenkou hoken)

If you are not eligible for Employee’s Health Insurance, you must enroll in National Health Insurance. This includes the self-employed, unemployed, students, and more. You can enroll at your local municipal hall and then receive your health insurance card. Monthly insurance payments are calculated from your income and the number of people in your household.


Office of International Affairs, Department of Homeland Promotion
(020-8570) 10-1 Uchimaru, Morioka City, Iwate Prefecture, JAPAN
Phone number:019-629-5765 Facsimile:019-629-5254
You can access our question form here.